Improve Rear Rotor Cooling
The Flow Rotor Spec’d by URGE designs is a 2 piece vented rear rotor designed to fit the OEM S2000 calipers. The OEM S2000 rear rotor is not vented which can overheat and induce rear brake fade and increase braking stress on the front brakes. A vented rear rotor significantly improves cooling capability over a non-vented rotor allowing a higher friction rear pad to be used improving brake balance & performance.
Reduce Rear Bearing Failure
Due to heat transfer from overheated rear solid discs, tracked S2000’s have higher rear bearing failure rates. This alone is worth upgrading to a Flow 2-piece rear rotor, as S2000 rear-bearing replacement is well over $1000 due to extreme labor required. The Flow Rear Brake rotors will significantly reduce heat transfer into the rear hubs due to vented rotor cooling gains. Also, 2 piece rotors have less heat transfer between the discs and hubs as they are different materials; heat transfer between different materials is less than solid materials. Also, there is less material volume between the disc and hub additionally reducing heat transfer to the hub.
Reduce Rotational weight Another benefit of Flow Rear rotors is their reduced weight, which translates to both reduced unsprung and rotational weight. Reducing unsprung rate improves handling and reducing rotational weight improves acceleration. The OEM solid rear rotor weighs 10 lbs. and our Flow rear rotors are 8 lbs. saving a total of 4 lbs. of unsprung and rotational weight. We plan to conduct a before and after dyno with the rear rotors to determine potential HP gains.
Flow Rotor Design
We chose not to increase the size of the rear rotor to keep cost down. Manufacturing a caliper relocation bracket would increase the cost of the kit by over $300. Compared to the OEM rotor which 95% of all track S2000 use, a vented rotor will significantly improve heat capacity. Finally, maintaining rotor diameter provided the weight savings we were targeting.
- Customer has been road racing, time trialing & professionally prepping cars for 20+ years
- Track records at 3 different track in 2 different cars
- AP2 Supercharged, 390-450 WHP depending on event/class
- Hoosier Tires, 3150 lbs w/ Driver, Street legal & full interior
- Testing done at VIR, 3 day weekend, 9 20-30 min sessions.
“The short story is the car stops better-my lap times improved (I made no other changes)-my brake zones (2 areas from max velocity to threshold braking) where compressed-the “balance” of the car under braking is much improved-my car liked the fact that there was “more” rear brake-car is more stable under threshold braking-rear brake pad wear has reduced (I did not change brake compounds, I run Carbotech pads). I don’t like that the brake pads need to be shaved but I have learned that every time you modify a car, there has to be a compromise, so shaving the rear pads is just a little compromise to get improved braking”
Note; Customer normally replaces Stoptech rotors after 2 weekends/12 track sessions due to cracks. The customer noticed no Stoptech cracks after 9 20-30 track sessions using our Flow Rear Rotors
Rear Pad Management
- When installing 2 new pads, each pad needs 2mm shaved off
- OR 1 new pad can be installed with a partially used pad, continue swapping pads to maximize use across both sets of pads
Rear Bracket Modifications
- 1.5 mm needs to be removed from the long, inside of the bracket & 3 mm from the short, outside of the bracket
- We can do this for $100 + $100 refundable core swap (US only, International must modify locally)
- US customers can modify themselves to save time & money
Flow Rear Rotor
- 2 Piece, Vented (40 Straight Vanes), Floating rotors with 7 straight slots
- 282 x 16.0mm (OEM is 282 x 12mm solid)
- Anodized 6061-T6 Aluminum Hat w/ Spring Clips
- 8lb mounted weight, Saves 4 lbs of rotational & unspring weight (2lbs per rotor)
Modified Rear Bracket $100 + $100 Refundable Core Swap upon return
Modified Rear Bracket
+ $100 core swap charge (refundable upon return)
Replacement Rotors and Hats
$175 – Replacement Hats per side
$175 – Replacement rotors per side
S2000 Rear Spiegler SS lines
Girodisc Front Rotors
- 300 x 25mm, 2 Piece Vented Front Rotor, 30 Directional Curved Vanes, 7 Slots
- Weight 13.8 lbs, Fits OEM Caliper
- Ask about Combo Discounts with our Essex AP Racing BBK or Girodisc Front Rotors